TEHRAN: President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday unveiled Iran’s first annual budget since the return of US sanctions, saying it had been adjusted to take account of Washington’s “cruel” measures.
The president announced a 20 per cent increase in public sector wages in a sign of the economic challenges the Islamic republic has faced since the United States pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal earlier this year.
The speech gave only a few general points of the budget — which will now be scrutinised and voted on by parliament — but acknowledged the pressure Iran was under.
“Last year we faced some problems,” Rouhani told parliament in a televised speech, referring to the widespread protests that hit the country almost exactly a year ago, sparked by anger over economic and political conditions.
“Those events caused the Americans to change their position regarding the Islamic republic and the nuclear deal,” he said.
“The real objective of the US in all of this conspiracy and sanction and pressure… is to bring the powerful Islamic republic of Iran to its knees,” he said, vowing that the US “will definitely be defeated.”
The renewed US sanctions include an embargo on Iran’s crucial oil sector.
The new budget did not say how many barrels of oil Iran hopes to sell in the next financial year, which starts in late March, but analysts believe it will be considerably less than the approximately 2.5 million it sold per day prior to Trump’s withdrawal.
The US granted waivers to eight key buyers of Iranian oil — including China, India and Turkey — though this has been a double-edged sword for Iran since it also helped push down the global price.